PEEK belongs to the PAEK family
VESTAKEEP® PEEK is a member of the semi-crystalline thermoplastics family generally referred to as polyaryletherketone (PAEK). Evonik provides this high performance polymer since 2006 as both granule and powder grades.
The aromatic polyetheretherketone molding compounds are suitable for manufacturing long-lasting, heavy-duty components. Such components are used for, e.g., semiconductors, cable, filament and film production, in the oil exploration, automotive and aviation industries, in mechanical engineering, for food and drinking water
applications, and in medical technology.
Applications in medical technology are described on another website.
PEEK MOLDING COMPOUNDS WITHSTAND THE TOUGHEST CONDITIONS
The semicrystalline thermoplastic high-performance polymer PEEK is distinguished by the following material properties:
- Excellent thermal stability
- High reliability over a wide temperature range
- High glass transition temperature
- Excellent chemical resistance
- Low water absorption
- High dimensional stability
- Hydrolytic resistance
- High abrasion resistance
- Low friction
- Outstanding electrical properties
- Inherent flame resistance
- High radiation resistance
Superior to metal
VESTAKEEP® PEEK outperforms metals by improving system durability and lowering component manufacturing costs. These benefits derive from the material properties of corrosion resistance, abrasion resistance, high rigidity combined with low weight, and versatile processability.
- PEEK components are resistant to corrosion caused by salts, solvents, caustics, and many acids.
- The high-performance polymer also reduces abrasive wear arising from slurries, particulate impact, and sliding friction.
- VESTAKEEP® PEEK is more rigid than steel and weighs less. Lightweight construction components help save fuel in transport, and allow the construction of more durable compressor parts and more efficient engine design for gears and impellers.
- Substituting metal parts with VESTAKEEP® PEEK reduces component cost due to improved durability, more efficient processing methods, part consolidation, and greater design freedom than is possible for machined metal parts.
Thanks to these properties, PEEK is gaining ground and replacing such materials as aluminum, titanium, and steel in aircraft construction and in bearing and gear parts. Bushings used in the mining, pulp, and paper industries are also made from this high-temperature polymer.
Superior to other plastics
Of all thermoplastics, PEEK offers the best combination of inertness and heat resistance. It retains its original properties even after long exposure to steam, ethylene oxide, hot oil and gamma radiation.
VESTAKEEP® PEEK molding compounds have an extremely high oxidative stability in the melt and can be used continuously at temperatures exceeding 260 °C.
Find the right product
In order to be able to select the right product for your application, you will find the relevant data in our plastics database.
For further questions pleas contact us.